Sunday, January 17, 2016

"Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor


8490112
"Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well."

Laini Taylor has a elegant way of writing, some would describe her writing as flowery and poetic in prose, but from the little of what I did read of "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" Laini Taylor's elegant writing is masked by her immature writing style. Her books don't stand out to me, rather she is just yet another young adult author in a sea choked full of mirror images. I expected more from her based sorely on the lavish praise given to her, but I should of known better. This is way I distanced myself from the young adult genre and now only read those trusted few.

One of my biggest issues with it was the modernized setting. I have never much cared for modernized fantasy, vastly preferring the realms of middle earth and the such (Harry Potter being the exception). The other issues being, of course, the immaturity. The immaturity given to the writing style, the young cast of characters. I didn't get far enough into the book to uncover any other flaws that the book might have.

My Rating: 2.5 Stars (For decent writing technique) - Did not finish

No comments:

Post a Comment