Friday, July 21, 2017

"A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. Le Guin

13642It was coincidence that I picked up "A Wizard of Earthsea" and "The Name of the Wind" at the same time as one another. One I owned, and was for my leisure time. The other I checked out from the library and it was intended for reading during my lunch break at work. The last mentioned being this book. Finished first not only because It is far shorter in length, but also because I ended up bringing it into the house with me tonight in order to finish it, because the author was able to draw me in enough that I desired to see how it played out.

You may be wondering why I mentioned "The Name of the Wind" in this particular review, and why I deemed it a coincidence that I chose to read these two books together. If you have read both of these books then you will probably already be aware of what I am about to say. They are both very similar. The magic system, the protagonist to a extent, and the magical school element. It is clear that Rothfuss was inspired by this book. I say inspired, because it is also clear that he was able to make it his own and take it in a different direction. The differences are not only in the story, but in the writing.

Le Guin has a beautiful way of writing, and her books obviously inspired many authors of fantasy. And with that being said, the story was there, but the characters never felt fleshed out to me. It was all very one dimensional. Her story telling tended to follow the path of telling you, rather then showing you. Rothfuss creates such fleshed out characters, that I couldn't help but compare the two.

I did actually really enjoy the read however, and I am rather impressed by her impact on the genre. If you think about it, she not only inspired Patrick Rothfuss, but also possibly authors such as J.K. Rowling based on the magical school element within both books.

Overall rating, a solid 3.5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment