Monday, July 3, 2017

That's Not Me Anymore

The last time that I posted anything on this blog was back in February of last year. A recent notification of a comment being made on one of my posts lead me back here today. I haven't pulled up this page for so long, and started to wonder why, as I truly did enjoy the entire experience. One of the biggest reasons that is coming to me however, is simply because I am no longer that reader. I have shared pictures of my book collection, as well as pictures of my many book hauls .. would it shock you to know that I now only own one of those three bookcases full of books? Would it surprise you to hear that I have not bought a single book since last year? Because it's true. I embraced a minimalist lifestyle earlier this year, and although I still am not where I want to be, it has changed me as a reader.

I am still a avid reader, as well as lover of books. But the reader that I was, that's not me anymore.

The entire method and reason of a minimalist lifestyle is only surrounding yourself with that of which you truly love, and eliminating the needless clutter in your home and in your life. Therefore also eliminating mind clutter, and being able to enjoy other things in life more. It has also effected me as a reader. In a positive note. I cleared out my book collection, going through the entire thing book by book. I eventually narrowed it down to one, not even full, bookcase. Because I got rid of so many books I was also able to eliminate two entire bookcases. My smaller book collection now brings me so much more happiness then my larger one ever did. And once you start becoming more selective about what you surround yourself with, you also become more selective about what you chose to spend your time doing. That involves reading. Not reading in itself, but rather the quality of that content that you are dedicating your time to. This has been one of my best reading years, and you know what that has consisted of up to now? Re-reading the entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, re-reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, and re-reading The Lord of the Rings books by J.R.R. Tolkien (I've nearly completed The Return of the King at this point). Only about eleven books in total, and all re-reads, but I loved every second of it.

That is the kind of reader that I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment