Saturday, February 27, 2016

"The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron


13616278
I desperately wanted to like this book. It sounded like a more gruesome, more battle heavy version of "Uprooted' by Naomi Novik, which I read back in 2015 and absolutely loved. Man versus wild and the creatures within who are encroaching upon their land.

For various reasons I have decided to not finish this massive 766 paged book at the 215 page mark. The writing was terrific, and the battle scenes were just epic. For those reasons alone I almost felt like continuing on with it. Almost. The biggest reason why I just couldn't get into it was the large cast of characters. They were all introduced into the story fairly early on, the points of view switching between all of them every few pages. This made it very easy to forget who was who, and what that certain characters role in the book was. I eventually became familiar with certain characters, but I am still lost on a large majority of them. And new characters were steadily being added as the book progressed. I have read books that contained a large cast of characters, as well as having multiple points of view, and I was never as lost as I am now. Some characters begin to become fleshed out as the book progressed, but for the most part a lot of the characters just fell flat. There just wasn't enough focus on each character. My other issue with this book was the magic system. There was never any explanation of how the magic system worked, it was just there. Random people just had random abilities, and even then the abilities aren't even explored ... stuff just happens. I heard that the magic system is better explained in the second book, but where I am currently, it just isn't working for me.

My Rating: 3 Stars - Did not finish

No comments:

Post a Comment