Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

It's easy to see why "The Hound of the Baskervilles" is not only one of the more easily recognized books of the Sherlock Holmes series ("The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" coming in second place), but is also considered the greatest of Doyle's pieces. This piece was also the resurrection of Sherlock Holmes, since Doyle had decided to end the Sherlock Holmes series in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes". Doyle's imagination took flight upon hearing of a legend of a ferocious black dog which haunted the countryside. The wheels started turning, and Doyle was inspired to write another book on Sherlock, when earlier he had decided to pull the plug and call it quits. I for one, am glad that Sherlock was brought back for more books.

"You interest me very much, Mr. Holmes. I had hardly expected so dolichocephalic a skull or such well-marked supra-orbital development. Would you have any objection to my running my finger along your parietal fissure? A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull".

This taken from the beginning of the book made me chuckle. Can you even imagine, having just met someone, have them tell you this? And in this fashion? And Sherlock doesn't even bat a eye.

As the series continues on, I find myself increasingly annoyed by Watson. His desperate need for Sherlock's approval is just overwhelmingly pathetic. He is like a dog, wanting a pat on the head. He worships Sherlock. His obsessiveness with the female characters is also becoming a bit of a annoyance. And just a tad bit confusing ...

My rating : *****

No comments:

Post a Comment