Monday, April 13, 2015

The one that got away

As I have mentioned before, I collect the Barnes and Noble leather bound collectible edition books. Not all, only the ones that I wish to own, and have actually already read, or have a desire to read. I started to collect these books roughly two years ago, three years ago at the absolute most. So beginning in 2012 or 2013 is when I became aware of these books and slowly started to add them to my library.

Apparently in 2009 the complete "Chronicles of Narnia" was produced as a beautiful leather bound edition. At the time $20.00 in stores, and $18.00 online. It was discontinued, as some of these books tend to be as new titles are released. Now it is considered rare, and highly collectible. I have seen them selling on e-bay for anywhere in the price range of $200.00 - $300.00 and upwards. I missed out on this one.

I saw one at Half Price Books several weeks ago. It was in their display cabinet, and priced at $95.00 ... $95.00 is, all things considered, a good deal. But a little much for me. It was there on my second trip, still calling out to me. And it was there again on my third trip. I decided to ask if I could view it outside of the cabinet, since I was curious to look at one first hand anyway. I was actually relieved to see that the book was not nearly as pretty as it had appeared when it was behind glass due to flaws and wear. Blemishes, scratches, and smudges. What was once tempting, was no more. I was not going to pay full price, but was curious to see if they would lower their asking price. No. Couldn't hurt to ask.

I will probably never own this beautiful book. The one that got away.

                                          The Chronicles of Narnia (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions)

No comments:

Post a Comment