Thursday, June 4, 2015

Book Review of " A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle


18131

It was a dark and stormy night 

Thus begins the first step into the world that Madeleine L'Engle created.

I read this book as a child, possibly the entire series, but I feel that I did not understand it at the time and was unable to grasp the message, therefore it shouldn't come as a surprise that I did not remember it. Re-reading "A Wrinkle in Time" as a adult, was like reading it again for the first time.

At first I was disappointed in the book. This book is a classic, a very well known classic with a large devoted fan base, and with such popularity comes a certain expectation. A extremely hyped up sort of expectation. I found myself disappointed because of this, and not because of the book itself. As the book progressed, so did my interest. I did not realize, until reading, that there is a very clear message within this book, of Good vs. Evil. I found it to be refreshing. The classic good vs. evil is certainty not a new concept, but I found Madeleine L'Engle's message to be stronger, and louder, in this category then most others that I have read. It reminded me of "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis. I did not feel that L'Engle pushed her religious beliefs upon the reader, but rather let the reader walk away from the book and ponder  upon it. I personally enjoyed the Christian aspect that was within this book.

My Rating : ****

No comments:

Post a Comment