Thursday, May 28, 2015

Book Review of "Divergent" by Veronica Roth


13335037

This book definitely kept me entertained throughout, but I honestly consider it as what has become my endearing term, junk food reads. And there is nothing wrong with a junk food read, as long as you, the reader, is being entertained. With that being said, this book did not rank very high with me despite the fact that I actually kind of enjoyed it. Does that make sense? I enjoyed it, and yet I wasn't impressed by it. The dystopian genre has been so overdone at this time, that the author really needs to have a unique story line in order for their books to stand out. You get the feeling that the author tried to be unique, but you can feel traces of other books within Divergent. The dystopian genre has become so hyped up, and very popular right now, so you can see why every Dick and Harry is mass producing these books. The same thing happened after Twilight became so big. With story line on the wayside, I just wasn't impressed with the characters either. Flat, flat, flat. I'm just going to say it, the entire book felt very juvenile. I realize that this is a young adult book, but I read young adult, and I am here to say that not all young adult books read such as this book does. I enjoyed the book, I may even read the other books in the series, but I just cannot for the life of me, understand why this book became so popular. I immensely enjoy reading dystopian and apocalyptic genres, but Veronica Roth's dystopian world just didn't feel even remotely real to me. It felt dysfunctional, flaky, and rushed.

My Rating : ***

No comments:

Post a Comment