Friday, May 8, 2015

May 2015 Book Haul

I have six books to show you this month for the May 2015 book haul. 

I have not been back to Half Price Books and Barnes and Noble since my last book haul, but I have discovered e-bay since that time. All books featured were purchased through e-bay, and I found there to be both pros and cons when it came to purchasing books in this fashion, which I will soon be featuring a separate post on the subject. Technically speaking, these were not all purchased this month. Some were purchased back in the month of April, but did not arrive until this month.

This first picture features three of the six books that I have purchased. The taller book towards the back is "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. It is a Easton Press edition that I purchased though e-bay. I have read this title before now, but I did not yet own a copy in my library. The smaller book on the left is "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy. A Franklin Library edition purchased through e-bay. I have yet to read this title, and it is new to my library as well. And the slighter larger black book on the right is "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Also a Easton Press edition, also purchased through e-bay. I have yet to read this title, and it is also new to my library.

This next book is "The Last Man" by Mary Shelley. A Folio Society edition purchased through e-bay. I have yet to read this title, and it is new to my library. I am very excited about this one however and eagerly look forward to reading it. I have previously read her book "Frankenstein" and found it to be a very worthy read.

And here we have "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. A Folio Society edition purchased through e-bay. I have previously read this title, twice to be exact, and I also owned a edition already in my library. You see it shown here with the new edition. The inferior edition will either be given away to a sibling (you have to continue to encourage that love of reading!), or will be sold.

And last, but certainly not least is "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. This is a Easton Press edition purchased through e-bay. I have previously read this title, as well as already owning a edition in my library. You see the formerly owned edition here alongside the new one. I love this book, and I desired to own a superior edition of it, in my library. The former will be given to my Mom, as I recently discovered that she does not own this title in her personal library.

I freely admit that I went a little overboard this month, not with quantity but with quality ... despite purchasing these through e-bay and paying a great deal less then you would if you were to purchase them new (typically half the price, but sometimes even cheaper), I still went way beyond what I ever meant to in terms of money. I can't really say that I regret my purchases however, as these are books that I have never been able to find otherwise in a nice edition like these. I am not replacing my entire library with fancier editions, but sometimes, that certain book just has to be that special one.

There will be a May 2015 Book Haul part two, as two of the books purchased have still not arrived. Otherwise I am attempting to put myself on a book buying ban for the rest of the month (pffffft like that will ever actually happen).

2 comments:

  1. Yippee! A "Gone With the Wind" for my bookshelf. You will have to place it in the proper position on my bookshelf! Do I get it for Mother's Day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, you have given me so many books over the years that I feel that I owe you this, and more.

      Delete