Sunday, May 24, 2015

Book Review of "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman

I picked this book up earlier this evening, and I could not put it down until I had devoured it entirely. Thankfully it was a rather easy read, or I would of had to have stayed up even later then what I did in order to finish it and see it through to the end. I will definitely be putting more of mister Neil Gaiman's books on my to read list in the future (probably as soon as I finish writing this book review to be completely honest).

I had a slight case of deja-vu while reading the opening chapters of this book. I think that many years ago I may of picked this title up, read the first few chapters, and for one reason or another decided not to finish it. I am certainty glad that I gave it another chance, even if I didn't realize at the time that I was, in fact, giving it another chance.

It takes a graveyard to raise a child
This book begins like any other book typically begins, with a triple homicide of course. I have to say that this particular scene was very chilling to read. The scene where a infant baby boy is the sole survivor of the brutal murder of his entire family, and not because of sentimental feelings on the side of the murderer would be. No, it would be because he is awoken to a bump in the night, and always being a curious little guy he manages to climb out of his crib, make his way downstairs, and discovers that the front door is left open. He makes his way to the cemetery up the street, where the inhabitants there quickly hide him away from his pursuer, and decide to take him in and raise him. Between the Owen couple (ghosts) who raise him as their son, Silas (neither living nor dead) who swears to be his guardian and to protect him, and the whole community of other ghosts, Nobody Owen becomes a part of a very odd family.

My only complaint with this book is just a dissatisfaction with the view of the afterlife that is portrayed here. That when you die you re-awaken in whichever graveyard your bones have been buried in, and forever after live in such a fashion. I like to think that there is more in the afterlife, and while I won't let this damper my feelings on the book in general, I did find it rather depressing.

My Rating : ****

No comments:

Post a Comment