Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Tropes That I Hate

Hey guys, I created a list of book tropes that I find myself despising. These are the book tropes that I hate.

1. The insta-love trope. I have read several books containing this insta-love trope and it never works. There is no chemistry development between them, it feels forced and unnatural. Stiff, awkward, fake. A good author develops the relationship slowly and naturally, sometimes even unexpectedly. I have become so tired of the love struck at first sight theme that has been circulating the young adult genre. How are you supposed to become invested in a relationship when on page thirty they have met for the first time and by page fifty they are proclaiming undying love for one another?

2. The superwoman trope. This is a recurring trope that I have seen in young adult dystopian. Teenage girl who is the only one apparently that can save her people from a corrupted government. She is, of course, also gorgeous and all of the men desire her. And if it happens to be a book where powers or abilities are involved she will probably have a stronger ability then anyone else that sets her apart. Basically I just feel as if this book trope has become overused just in general, overused to the point that I don't even feel like reading a book that fits this description anymore. Books that I have read recently that fit in this trope in one way or another would be, "Matched", "Legend", "The Darkest Minds", "Shatter Me", and "Divergent", just to name a few.

3. High ranking children. What do I mean by this? Well in the young adult genre it is very likely that you will run into 15, 16, 17 year old kids that are holding high ranks. Leader of a rebellion, captain of the guard, etc. I find it very hard to believe and it just casts the entire book as very childish in my opinion. This is one very big issue that I have with the young adult genre and it is why I am beginning to drift back into the adult fantasy. I just can't relate to these younger casts of characters anymore.

4. Love triangles. I hate love triangles, especially because it usually centers around the girl who is gorgeous and is saving the world ... refer back to the superwoman trope. One love triangle that I feel was done tastefully is in the "Throne of Glass" series by Sarah J. Maas. If there is going to be a love triangle this is the way to do it.

I have a lot more book tropes that I hate, but I typically don't read the genres where those tropes take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment