Sunday, August 23, 2015

"Shatter Me" by Tahereh Mafi

13455782
This trilogy has been hyped up, gushed over, and raved about in the Goodreads community and the booktube community alike. I may have gone into it with too high expectations because of that mere fact alone, but the synopsis also intrigued me and pulled me in. With a 4.03 average star rating and over 138,656 ratings, how could I possibly go wrong on this one? Well I had the wool pulled over my eyes, the jokes on me. There are about three hundred and forty pages to this book and I read exactly seventy five. I couldn't do anymore then that, not without feeling like I wasted a large amount of my time in doing so because I sure wasn't going to be walking away with anything gained. The writing, it has been described as beautiful and poetic but to me it just felt repetitive of itself and choppy. I could possibly of felt this way because the writing did indeed repeat itself, our character Juliette often repeating herself over and over again in her head. Also one very known fact on these books is the strike out used throughout this book, Juliette thinking thoughts in her head that she then strikes out. I enjoyed this book I hated this book. I didn't think that it was going to bother me as much as it did, the first few pages being cute and then becoming a rather large annoyance when it doesn't cease. And the instalove in this book, my gosh, I am so tired of the instalove trope. I kept pushing myself to read it despite my not enjoying it because it seems as if all of my Goodreads friends, and the reviewers that I follow on Goodreads, have all loved this book, giving it four and five stars. I wanted to love it, but it just doesn't work out that way. It reads more like a sappy romance then the books that I typically read, and it's just not for me.

My Rating: 2.5 Stars - Did not finish

No comments:

Post a Comment