Friday, September 4, 2015

Barnes and Noble and Book Depository Unboxing/Haul Late August 2015 - Belated

I have two book hauls to show you today. One is from Barnes and Noble and the other one is from Book Depository . I actually ordered these back in August, and while I did receive some in late August the rest of these didn't actually arrive until this month. So I am just going to have a combined book haul of the two and term it as a late August haul, belated version. Another very late Barnes and Noble book haul will be arriving tomorrow so I thought it best to showcase these now.

The first are from Book Depository. I ordered this simply gorgeous boxed set of the "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, paperback editions. This is the first time that I have ordered books through Book Depository, and I was impressed! Book Depository is located in the UK, so although their prices are roughly about the same as our prices in the US it does take longer for the books to actually arrive through the mail. They have free shipping! I decided to order these through Book Depository because of the UK editions being so much prettier then our editions. Quite frankly, our editions are ugly. Book one in the trilogy is "The Final Empire", book two is "The Age of Ascension", and book three is "The Hero of Ages". These arrived very carefully packaged, wrapped in bubble-wrap. I was surprised to receive them so quickly too, I thought that the delivery would take longer then it did. These books are very good quality and in beautiful condition. I already placed another order with Book Depository, and I expect to order from them in the future as well. I have never read Brandon Sanderson before but I hear only good about him. He is considered the king of fantasy, and I hear that his writing is very clean as far as lewd language and sexual content go which is kind of rare in the fantasy genre. His writing has been described as very unique, and very imaginative. I am really looking forward to reading these! They come highly recommended from all fantasy readers.

Next I have these two from Barnes and Noble. I just finished "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik earlier last week and gave it five stars, I loved it that much. So of course I was going to purchase it for my library. This hardcover edition is stunning, but sadly I received it damaged. The dust cover is torn, most noticeably in the front bottom left corner. A page or two is also sewn in wrong so that you notice a difference in how the pages lay. Very disappointed. I am returning it to Barnes and Noble tomorrow for a replacement copy. Also pictured here is a paperback edition of "His Majesty's Dragon" book one in the "Temeraire" series by Naomi Novik. After reading "Uprooted" I was eager to try more of her books.

Also from Barnes and Noble, the complete (current complete) "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin, paperback boxed set edition. I have not read these yet, or any of them for that matter, but I really enjoy the television series and hear really great things about the books too. A lot of people put off reading them merely because of the size of the books, but I grew up reading high fantasy. I read eleven of "The Wheel of Time" books by Robert Jordan straight through as a teenager and those are not short books, typically between six hundred and a thousand pages each. I also read ten of the "Sword of Truth" books by Terry Goodkind straight through as a teenager, the page quantity being similar. I hear that Martin's writing can be a little vulgar but it doesn't bother me as much in fantasy as it does in young adult, or other genres. Brandon Sanderson's books are also really chunky books, as most fantasy are, but I love getting lost in big books. The world building is some of the most amazing that you will ever read. These will make really good fall/winter reading! I actually already owned four of these books in paperback but my editions are kind of grimy so they are being replaced with this beautiful set.

And last are these two books also from Barnes and Noble. First is "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas, hardcover edition. I took a chance on this one. I hear really conflicted opinions on this new series by Sarah J. Maas, but I loved her writing so much in "Throne of Glass" that I wanted more by her. I hope that it doesn't disappoint. The physical copy did disappoint however, the book arriving damaged. The dust cover is torn (you can kind of see the damage at the front top right corner). This will also be returned to Barnes and Noble tomorrow for a replacement. I am becoming very annoyed at this time. It seems as if half of the books that I order are arriving damaged in some way, and the boxes are in good condition upon arrival too which means that they are being sent out in that condition ... this makes about the sixth damaged book that I have received through them now. I know that I have been ordering more through Barnes and Noble then any other source, but honestly I haven't received any damaged books from other book sellers ... Anyway, the second book is "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, hardcover edition. This book sounds really good. I have only read "The Graveyard Book" by him at this point, so I am really interested to read some of his adult works.

I have another Barnes and Noble order scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I am almost scared to open the box at this time, the horror of seeing mangled bookie bodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment